If laptops are ergonomically un-friendly, then Blackberrys border on enemy status. But you can try a few tips that may reduce your risk for “Blackberry Thumb” (a repetitive strain injury caused by repetitive use of the thumbs):
- Use the Blackberry to primarily view emails; try to respond using your regular computer or limit your response to one or two sentences;
- Use the stylus or rubber end of a pencil instead of your thumbs to type on the Blackberry;
- Try to use the Blackberry trackball with your left thumb to give your right thumb a break;
- Limit use of Blackberry to 15 minutes a day or at least 15 minutes per session;
- Alternate using Blackberry with doing other tasks.